Friday, August 1, 2008

The marathon quest is over?

I didn't do the 10 miles I was scheduled to do today. In fact, today didn't turn out anything like I had planned.

I went to see the doctor this morning. Yesterday, I had a brief, sharp chest pain. It was the second time in the last week that I experienced it. I also felt some tightness in my chest during my last run. I figured I better get it checked.

The doctor did an ECG (electrocardiogram) and didn't like what she saw. She immediately referred me to the emergency ward at the local hospital.

I spent the next few hours with wires attached. They even fitted me for an intravenous in case it was necessary. After blood tests, x-rays, etc., I was finally released. The emergency ward doctor wasn't too concerned about my ECG but the tightness experienced while exercising was worrisome. I'm going to have further tests done, including a stress test.

The doctor didn't say to stop my marathon training but he didn't exactly endorse continued extended exercise either, especially until my stress test. Of course, my wife intrepreted what he said as "Don't train for a marathon."

So, I'm not sure but this may be the end of the road for the marathon. Even if nothing shows up on the stress test, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to convince my wife that pushing myself that hard is a good idea.

Oh, and it's a good thing my mother doesn't read this blog. I can just hear her now... "Ahou!"

2 comments:

  1. Oh No! I am sorry for what you are experiencing! No matter how bad we want something, it's important to listen to our bodies and take heed! For now, I would have to take your wife's side. I hope the Doctor's report will come back in your favor to continue your quest! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no =( This is scary!! Very scary... take care of yourself now.

    I know how bad you want to do the marathon but in the end your health is way more important than a race and I know you *know* that. But it is still hard to not be able to achieve it when you've been working so hard. I do hope it's just a little scare and you can resume your training but seriously don't push too much my friend!

    ReplyDelete