Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Hills!

On Wednesdays, I work on my hill running. Hill training is a great way to strengthen the leg muscles, particularly hamstrings, calves and quadriceps. It improves aerobic and anaerobic fitness as well.

Usually I do my hill training on a treadmill but today I ran around my neighbourhood. From where I live I have to deal with hills no matter which direction I go. I didn't do the classic up-and-down a hill workout; instead, I just ran randomly around some areas where I knew I'd encounter hills.

I only ran 3.1 miles but it was pretty difficult at parts. However, I ended up running a quick pace (for me), pretty close to my typical 5K pace.
The BMO Vancouver Half Marathon has a pretty steep hill at the 8 mile mark so I'm hoping that this hill training is going to pay off during the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment