Monday, April 14, 2008

Ice bath

I was a bit sore after my LSD last Friday so I tried a post-run ice bath. It wasn't actually an ice bath since I didn't use any ice but it sure was cold enough. Ice baths are supposed to promote quicker recovery although there is some scientific debate regarding their benefits.

It certainly doesn't have the appeal of sitting in a jacuzzi but a hot bath is the worst thing for your muscles after strenuous activity.

A cold bath is quite a shock to the system and I never did feel comfortable and I didn't last more than 5 minutes which probably isn't long enough to have the desired affect. Anyway, as I sat in the bath, it reminded me of an episode of Seinfeld.

1 comment:

  1. It doesn't have to be icy to work. The advice that works for me is "as cold as you can for as long as you can". Five minutes probably worked better for you than nothing.

    Anything below body temperature can be effective. Plus, if you get in at slightly cool and think you can take it colder, add ice cubes or colder water once you're in. Lots of ways to accomplish the cold bath :)

    If it's too cold to get into, it won't work at all.

    ReplyDelete